Reading Buddies at Red Earth Creek School
Red Earth Creek school has implemented a mentorship program or peer mentoring at school. Peer mentoring benefits all students social and emotional skills, academic skills and will foster a positive influence on students learning. Let us explain why.
Benefits of older students mentoring:
- By allowing peer mentoring in schools, students will develop their social and emotional skills like patience and empathy for their younger buddies.
- Older students who are struggling with grade-level reading will also gain an opportunity to access more comfortable material without stigma or shaming which in turn will strengthen and enhance their reading skills as well.
Benefits to younger students being mentored:
- Younger students look up to their peers and want to be just like them. By allowing older students to mentor younger students in reading, it will help encourage younger students to read.
- Students will be able to hear modeling from their mentors what fluency in reading sounds like.
- Students will learn how to work in a cooperative team manner and gain a support system from their peers.
There are many reasons and studies to show why peer mentorship is essential to the success of student achievement, whereas we have only listed a few. If you would like to learn more on the topic, please do not hesitate to stop in at the school to discuss out mentorship program further.